WELCOME TO GOVERNMENT PRINTING PRESS
The Government Printing Press, formerly “Imprensa Nacional”, is the oldest Institution of the Government dating back to 19th Century. Until 1980, the Press was using the printing technology acquired during pre-liberation times. However, since then, the process of phasing out the old and outdated machinery and its replacement by Offset Printing and Computer System has taken place, enabling the Press to cope up with the manifold increase in the workload that is associated with the increased tempo in developmental activities. During the Ninth Five Year Plan 1997 – 2002, the process of implementation of the Scheme of “Modernisation, Expansion and Replacement Programme” is under execution in a phased manner. And the same continues in 10th Five Year Plan also.
HISTORY OF PRESS TECHNOLOGY IN GOA:
The first Printing Press was established in Goa in September, 1556 by Jesuit Missionaries and it functioned in the colegio de Sao Paulo at Old Goa. Thereafter, due to its inactivity, the same was shifted to the Major Seminary at Rachol, Salcete, in 1616 and it functioned there upto 1660.